Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week 11 Objectives - Self Evaluation


You should have finished your first draft.

If you did not finish your first draft:

1) Finish your first draft!

If you did finish your draft, congratulations! Give yourself a big pat on the back. Now move on to the self evaluation.

1) Read through this post.
2) Make your own self evaluation post. Use this template.

When you write your first draft, you are in a productive, creative mindset. You should not be criticizing or correcting yourself. You should be creating. Now that you have finished, it is time to change your attitude from creative to critical. We need to assess our work and decide how to make it better. First, let's look at the rubric. From the post:

If either draft is late, one point will be subtracted. 
First Draft - October 26 October 27
Second Draft - November 16

First draft
2 points - The first draft is thoughtful and a good start to an effective persuasive essay. It demonstrates an understanding of the classical argument.
1 point - The student completes a first draft that demonstrates an understanding of the classical argument
0 points - The first draft is inadequate


First, what score do you think you deserve? Write a brief justification. Think about it, then look at my answer.

- I think I deserve 0 points. I only included 4 out of the 5 elements of a classical argument, and my research was inadequate to support my thesis.

Next, let's decide what did you do well, and what could you do better? Think about it, then look at my answers.

1) My organization was good. The elements of my argument are all logically connected, and there is no unnecessary information. 

2) I could have used research better. Basically, I need to do more research. Most of my arguments are based off of opinions and personal feelings.

Please recall the 5 parts of the classical argument. Which part of the classical argument did you use the best? Which part could be improved? Think about it, then look at my answers.

1) My narration is strong. I do a good job explaining the foundations of the issue, and I prepare my audience to hear my argument.

2) My confirmation is very weak. Because it doesn't have enough research, my ideas are not convincing. 

Last, what's your strategy for your next draft? Where will you focus your attention to make the second draft stronger?

- I think the best thing I can do for my essay is improve my research. I need at least three more reliable sources to make my thesis compelling. Also, I didn't include a refutation, so obviously that is essential to include. The last thing I should do is strengthen my introduction and conclusion. Neither one is very strong. The introduction is not engaging; I don't think it will attract a reader's attention. The conclusion has nothing memorable for the audience to be left with. So, basically, my three step plan: 1) Research! 2) Write the concession. 3) Improve intro and conclusion.

Now that you have a plan, go forth and improve! Write that second draft due November 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment